Introducing a delightful libation that strikes the perfect balance between refreshment and indulgence - the Bourbon Smash with Fresh Peaches. This enticing Bourbon Cocktail embarks on a journey with the luscious embrace of muddled peaches and fragrant basil, culminating in a bold bourbon infusion. Get ready to savor every sip of this exquisite concoction!
This Peach Bourbon Smash has a tantalizing balance of smooth sophistication and unapologetic strength. Balance reigns supreme in crafting an exceptional cocktail, and I believe you'll discover that not only this one but my Spiced Pumpkin Vodka Martini, Red Wine Sangria, and Chocolate Martini all orchestrate a perfect harmony among their ingredients. And of course one of my favorites is Prosecco Mimosa. These have all been personally crafted so as not to drown in sweetness or be overshadowed by a strong alcohol bite.
What is a Bourbon Smash?
A Bourbon Smash is a classic cocktail that combines bourbon whiskey with fresh fruit, herbs, and a touch of sweetness. It's known for its refreshing and slightly tart flavor profile. The Bourbon Smash can be customized to your taste which I have done with this Recipe.
Ingredients You Will Need for this Peach Bourbon Smash.
- Fresh Peaches. If they’re not in season, you can use frozen ones. Just let them thaw a bit before you muddle.
- Fresh Basil. This adds vibrant, green color and a herbaceous scent that evokes a sense of freshness and vitality in a cocktail, making it visually and aromatically appealing.
- Fresh Lemon Juice. Make sure and grab fresh lemons and not the bottled kind. It truly makes or breaks the finished cocktail.
- Simple Syrup. Simple syrup is made by "simply" dissolving one cup of sugar into 1 cup of boiling water and cooling it. Store simple syrup in the refrigerator for up to one month.
- Bourbon. The choice of bourbon for a Bourbon Smash largely depends on personal preference. My choice in this smash is either Buffalo Trace or Bulleit.
How to Make this Whiskey Smash
This versatile cocktail is a breeze, whether you're in the mood for a personal sipper or aiming to create a pitcher of pure refreshment for your next gathering. It literally takes about 5 minutes for a single serving or just a bit longer for a larger batch.
- Slightly muddle cubed peach and basil together. For this bourbon cocktail, I used an over-ripe peach because it holds a sweeter flavor. Cube half the peach and combine with about 5 or 6 large basil leaves in the bottom of a rocks glass.
- Squeeze Fresh Lemon Juice into the glass.
- Add the Simple Syrup. Depending on your “sweet” preference, use either 1 ounce or 1 ½ ounces.
- Add your favorite bourbon whiskey and ice. With a long cocktail spoon, swirl vigorously until the drink is nice and chilled.
What is the Difference Between a Bourbon (Whiskey) Smash and a Whiskey Sour?
The key differences between a Bourbon Smash and a Whiskey Sour are the ingredients and their complexity. A Bourbon Smash includes muddled fruit and herbs resulting in a complex, fruity, and herbal flavor. A Whiskey Sour is simpler, made with whiskey, lemon juice, and simple syrup, offering a clean, tangy, and slightly sweet taste.
Bourbon Smash Recipe Variations
Feel free to mix and match different ideas or create your own variations based on your preferences and the seasonal ingredients available to you. The beauty of the Bourbon Smash is its versatility and the endless possibilities for customization. Here are a few ideas.
- Different Fresh Fruits. A Bourbon Smash is a versatile cocktail that can be customized with various fruits to create unique flavor profiles. Some fruits that work well in a Bourbon Smash include any type of berries, citrus fruits, plums, cherries, or mango. You can substitute frozen fruit for fresh as well.
- Different Fresh Herbs. Herbs elevate the flavor and aroma of a whiskey smash, adding complexity and freshness to the cocktail. Some other popular herbs to consider adding to a Bourbon Smash include mint, rosemary, thyme, lavender, sage, etc.
- Other Sweeteners. In addition to simple syrup, there are several other sweeteners you can use to add sweetness and flavor complexity to your cocktail. Here are some alternatives: honey, maple syrup, agave nectar, etc.
- Add a little Fizz. Inject some effervescence into your cocktail. If you're looking to tone down the bourbon's strength and infuse some bubbly vitality into your drink, consider adding a dash of ginger beer, club soda, or even ginger ale.
What is the Best Bourbon for a Whiskey Smash?
The best bourbon for a Whiskey Smash largely depends on your personal taste preferences, but generally, a well-balanced bourbon with rich, caramel, and vanilla notes works wonderfully. There is no need to choose expensive "top Shelf" bourbons with this cocktail. Here are a few bourbon options that are often recommended for a Whiskey Smash:
- Bulleit Bourbon: Known for its spicy character, which can add complexity to the cocktail.
- Buffalo Trace: A well-balanced bourbon with a smooth and approachable taste.
- Maker's Mark: Known for its sweet and mellow profile with flavors of vanilla and toasted oak.
- Four Roses Single Barrel: Offers a more robust and spicy bourbon experience.
- Elijah Craig Small Batch: Elijah Craig is known for its robust caramel and vanilla flavors, along with a pleasant oaky character.
The real jewel in this bourbon libation? It's the spirited surprise of booze-bathed fruit. A sweet reward of those luscious, alcohol-kissed morsels. It's a genius twist that lets you savor your drink in a whole new way, not only sipping it, but you likewise can enjoy eating it.
Cocktails, they're the perfect companions for unwinding after a challenging day, for pausing to relax and ponder the week's journey, or for simply indulging in the pleasures of life. Tonight, maybe take a moment to savor this Peach Bourbon Smash and gently remind yourself that "life is good" and "You deserve this moment of joy."
You'll Want to Consider these Cocktails as well:
Follow me on Pinterest - Lingeralittle
Let's be "friends" on Facebook - LingeralittlePrint
Peach Bourbon Smash
Fresh Peach Bourbon Smash embarks on a journey by marrying the vibrant flavors of muddled peaches and fragrant basil, concluding with a generous pour of bourbon. It's a tantalizing experience that beckons you to sip, savor, and revel in every luxurious note.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 Cocktail 1x
- Category: Cocktails
- Method: None
- Cuisine: American
- ½ large Ripe Peach, peeled and cut in cubes
- 5 to 6 Basil Leaves
- Juice from ½ large Lemon
- 1 to 1 ½ oz Simple Syrup (adjust to taste)
- 2 - 3 oz Bourbon (adjust to taste)
- Basil leaves for garnishment, optional
- Peach Slices for garnishment, optional
- Muddle ½ ripe cubed peach and 5-6 basil leaves in a rocks glass.
- Add juice from ½ fresh lemon and 1 - 1 ½ ounces of simple syrup.
- Add 2-3 ounces of bourbon and stir together.
- Add crushed ice to fill the glass. Stir vigorously to chill.
- Garnish with peach slices and basil leaves.
- Simple syrup is "simply" one cup of sugar dissolved into 1 cup boiling water and cooled. Store simple syrup in the refrigerator for up to one month.
- An over-ripe peach for muddling is the best because it is extra sweet with a rich peach flavor.
- An added bonus to this bourbon cocktail is the booze-soaked fruit. You don't want to muddle to a mushy mess because the chunks of peaches at the bottom of the glass are as delightful as the drink itself.
- Serving Size: 1 Cocktail
- Calories: 253
- Sugar: 24 g
- Sodium: 4 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 31 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: bourbon smash, bourbon smash recipe, whiskey smash, bourbon cocktail