For Sautéd Onions and Garlic
- Heat a deep skillet over medium heat until hot. Pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil into the skillet, swirl, and heat.
- Add 1 1/2 large thinly sliced sweet onions to the skillet and sprinkle salt and pepper to taste. Sauté the onions until they are tender and translucent, 8-10 minutes.
- Add 6 thinly sliced or minced garlic cloves and sauté for 30-60 seconds being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
For the Cream Sauce
- In the same deep skillet used for the onions, heat the skillet over medium heat and add 4 tablespoons of butter.
- Once the butter is melted, sprinkle 1/4 cup of flour and whisk until smooth.
- Pour in 3 1/2 cups of whole milk, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper. Continue to whisk until the sauce begins to thicken, approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
For the Scalloped Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Generously butter a 3-quart baking dish. Layer half of the thinly sliced potatoes (1 1/2 pounds), half of the sautéd onions, 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh thyme, half of the cream sauce and 1 1/4 cups of grated sharp cheddar cheese.
- Finish with one more layer of potatoes, onions, thyme, cream sauce, and top with the cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the edges are bubbly.
- Remove the foil and continue to bake uncovered for another 30 minutes or until the cheese is nice and browned and the potatoes are tender when stuck with a fork.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with additional chopped thyme for garnishing.
- Serve warm and ENJOY!