Quick and Easy Pickled Red Onions
A gorgeous vibrant pink jar of pickled red onions brightens and enhances a variety of recipes. This sweet but tangy garnish adds a zesty crunch to your sandwiches, burgers, tacos, or salads.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings 1x
- Category: Garnishment
- Method: Pickling
- Cuisine: American
- 1 Large Red Onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick in half-moon slivers
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 2 tablespoons Sugar (or Xylosweet for Keto)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 cup White Balsamic Vinegar
- 7 or 8 Whole Allspice Berries
- In a small saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a full boil over medium-high heat.
- Turn the heat off. Add 1 large red onion that has been sliced to 1/4 inch thickness and half-moon slivers. Stir and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Drain the onions and add them to a small jar.
- Wisk together 2 tablespoons of sugar (xylosweet for keto), 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar. Pour over the onions.
- Add 7 or 8 whole allspice berries to the jar.
- Let sit in the refrigerator to marinate overnight.
- When choosing red onions, make sure and grab those that are heavy for their size, firm, and unbruised.
- Avoid red onions that have brown, black, or soft spots. Soft spots can quickly develop mold.
- Store onions in a cool, dry, and dark place with their skin on.
- I chose white balsamic because it has a mild flavor therefore not overpowering the onions. It embodies a sweet-tart taste while leaving a wonderful floral and fruity finish.
- You can easily substitute the white balsamic vinegar with the white wine or apple cider one. I just wouldn’t use regular balsamic vinegar as it’s pretty potent.
- Keto Version: Substitute Xylosweet for the granulated sugar which is measured exactly the same.
- Make sure and store the jar of onions in your refrigerator. They are at their best if you eat them within three days. But they will last up to three weeks in the refrigerator.
- Options: Sprigs of Rosemary or Thyme, Bay Leaves, Jalapenos, Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes, Garlic Cloves.
- Serving Size: Forkfull
- Calories: 17
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 58 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 4 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: pickled red onions, pickled onions, quick pickled onions, how to pickle onions