Easy Crockpot Lasagna
No-fail lasagna that is super simple and you don’t have to pre-cook the noodles. It is loaded with flavor through and through. This is a tried and true recipe that I have cooked many times over the years.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 4-8 hours
- Total Time: 53 minute
- Yield: 10-12 servings 1x
- Category: Pasta Dishes
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 1/2 large Sweet Onion, chopped
- 6 large Garlic Cloves, chopped
- Kosher Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper, to taste
- 2 lbs Hot Italian Sausage, bulk
- 2 – 28 oz cans Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 cup Fresh Basil, chopped
- 3 tablespoons Fresh Oregano, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Fennel Seeds
- Meat Sauce (see above)
- Approximately 16–20 Lasagna Noodles, dry
- 20 oz fresh Mozzarella Cheese, divided (12 oz grated) (8 oz cubed)
- 1 1/2 cups Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 3 cups Ricotta Cheese
- Saute 1 1/2 large onions (chopped) in large dutch oven over medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes until tender and translucent. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add 6 cloves garlic (chopped) and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Add 2 pounds Hot Italian Sausage and cook until browned. Drain.
- Add 2 -28 ounce cans Crushed Tomatoes, 1 teaspoon Onion Powder, 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder, 1/2 cup Fresh Basil (chopped) 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar and 1 tablespoon Fennel Seeds. Set aside until ready to assemble the lasagna.
- Combine 12 oz of grated Mozzarella, 1 1/2 cups Parmesan Cheese (grated), and3 cups Ricotta Cheese.
- In a 6-quart, removable crockpot, add 2 cups meat sauce and 4-5 dry noodles (broken to fit).
- Layer – 1/2 the cheese mixture, 2 cups sauce and 4-5 noodles for 2 times. End with the meat sauce. You should have 4 layers of sauce, 3 layers of noodles and 2 layers of cheese mixture.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- When noodles are tender, remove the ceramic pot from the slow cooker and add the remaining 8 oz cubed mozzarella to the top of the lasagna. Place in a 400°F preheated oven or under a broiler until the mozzarella cheese melts. Remove from oven and add small basil leaves for garnishment (optional).
- Sautéeing intensifies the onions’ natural sugars and releases a heavenly sweetness as the onions become softened. It takes anywhere from 6-8 minutes, stirring frequently, to achieve this stage.
- Throw the chopped garlic in after the onion has become tender. If you let them cook from the beginning, they will cook too long and burn which will leave a bitter taste in the recipe.
- There’s a lot of greasy juice that is collected at the bottom of the pan while cooking the sausage. Once the meat is browned, use a large metal sieve to drain it into a bowl. Use paper towels to dab up any additional grease on the meat.
- Never buy pre-grated parmesan cheese. It’s always fresher and best when grated right before needing it.
- Using fresh mozzarella instead of shredded mozzarella adds a deeper, richer dairy flavor. It not only gives a nice texture to the dish but brings with it more taste.
- When buying lasagna noodles for this recipe, don’t grab the pre-cooked ones.
- The noodles need to be broken a bit to fit into the crockpot.
- Serving Size: 1/12 of Pan
- Calories: 640
- Sugar: 20 g
- Sodium: 1414 mg
- Fat: 21 g
- Saturated Fat: 11 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 85g
- Fiber: 15 g
- Protein: 33 g
- Cholesterol: 71 mg
Keywords: Easy Lasagna in the Crockpot, Crockpot Lasagna, Crockpot Lasagna with No-Boil Noodles