Oven Roasted Breaded Cheesy Cauliflower
A delicious oven-baked side dish that is gooey with brie cheese and crispy with parmesan breadcrumbs. This Breaded Cheesy Cauliflower is loaded with flavor and is enticing next to any entree or fully enjoyed eaten all by itself.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Vegetable Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 1 large Head of Cauliflower
- 1 large Sweet Onion, unpeeled and quartered
- 6 large whole Garlic Cloves, papery skins removed and smashed
- A bundle of Fresh Herbs: Rosemary, Thyme and Oregano
- 1 tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 3-32 ounce Vegetable Broth (1/2 broth and 1/2 water can be substituted)
- Small (8 oz) Président Brie
- 3/4 cup Bread Crumbs
- 3/4 cup shredded fresh Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 cup Melted Butter
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Dried Rosemary
- Shredded Parmesan, for garnishment
- Chopped Thyme, for garnishment
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Cut the head of cauliflower in half with a large chef’s knife. Cut the stem to the base of the cauliflower, remove the leaves and rinse.
- Pour the broth into a large pot and add the cauliflower, onion, garlic, bundle of herbs and salt.
- Cook in the 325°F oven for about 20 minutes or until it is almost fork tender but still somewhat firm and definitely not mushy.
- Remove the cauliflower from the pot and drain on a plate that is lined with paper towels. Let cool.
- With a long serrated knife cut about 1 inch down from the top horizontally all the way through, but leave the top on. Put the round on a foil-lined cookie sheet and place in the 325°F oven for about 5 minutes or until warm.
- Lay the cauliflower halves in a shallow baking pan lined with parchment paper and gently spread the Brie over the entire top side of each half.
- In a medium-size bowl mix the breadcrumbs, shredded parmesan cheese, melted butter, and dried herbs.
- Gently coat the cheese covered cauliflower halves with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place the pan in the oven and cook about 10-15 minutes or until the cauliflower and cheese is warmed and the breadcrumbs are lightly browned.
- For a garnishment, sprinkle shredded parmesan cheese over each half along with chopped thyme.
- Serve warm.
- When simmering the cauliflower, there’s no need to peel the onion, just quarter it and throw it in the pot of broth. Remove the papery outside of the garlic cloves, then smash and throw ’em in.
- Be careful to not overcook the simmering cauliflower. You don’t want it to become mushy. Take it out of the both just before it becomes fork-tender and still a little firm.
- You’ll notice the vegetable broth has discolored the cauliflower to a dull brown. Don’t be alarmed, you’ll never notice it once you plaster it with cheese and breadcrumbs.
- A soft cheese, such as Brie, is necessary for spreading on the cooked cauliflower. It helps to warm the Brie before you begin coating the cauliflower.
- Serving Size: 1/4 Head of Cauliflower
- Calories: 607
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 1590 mg
- Fat: 39 g
- Saturated Fat: 21 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 42 g
- Cholesterol: 94 mg
Keywords: Cauliflower, Breaded Cauliflower, Cheesy Cauliflower, Vegetable Side Dish