Experience the ultimate indulgence with every bite of Honey Glazed Carrots bathed in an irresistible orange-honey syrup. These beautiful, colorful veggies are a feast for the eyes and the taste buds, as they roast to perfection with a coating of golden honey and fresh orange juice. Each tender bite is a symphony of flavors and textures, with a luscious glaze that's both sweet and tangy, and a succulent flesh that's perfectly caramelized.
With a taste that's out of this world, these roasted glazed carrots are versatile enough to enjoy with a humble meal or flaunt at a fancy dinner party with friends. They're the perfect blend of simplicity and sophistication, with a subtle sweetness that delights the palate and a stunning presentation that dazzles the eye.
Ingredients for Roasted Carrots with Honey
Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice. The tanginess of orange juice complements the natural sweetness of carrots, creating a balanced flavor profile. Also, its acidity helps to tenderize the carrots, making them soft and juicy.
Orange Zest. The zest of the orange peel contains flavorful essential oils that bring a bright and citrusy aspect to the dish.
Raw Honey. A great ingredient for glazing carrots because it caramelizes as it cooks, creating a sticky and flavorful glaze that coats the carrots perfectly
Bacon Grease. This adds a savory, smoky flavor to the glaze that complements the sweetness of the honey and the tanginess of the orange juice. You can always substitute melted butter for the grease.
Rainbow Carrots. I chose rainbow carrots for their colorful presentation. Any carrot will work well in this recipe.
Sea Salt. This is sprinkled once the carrots come out of the oven creating an interesting and complex taste that balances the sweetness of the carrots.
Parsley. This is a garnishment that adds both color and freshness to the dish.
How to Roast Candied Carrots
- Combine the glaze. In a small bowl whisk together orange juice, the zest, honey, and bacon grease.
- Prep the carrots. Using a soft-bristle brush or a clean bristle sponge, rub the carrots to remove any dirt or tiny hairlike roots. There's no need to peel rainbow carrots because the skins are thin and tender.
- Roast the carrots. Place the whole carrots on a baking sheet and baste them with the orange honey glaze before going into a 425°F preheated oven.
- Continue basting every 15 or 20 minutes. This is an important step to get good caramelization on the carrots. Roast for one hour or until tender and soft.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and chopped parsley.
Are Carrots better roasted or boiled?
Roasting draws out the natural sweetness of the carrots and the glaze creates a wonderful caramelization in the oven. Boiling carrots can produce a softer texture but it tends to leach out healthy nutrients in the process.
Tips for Honey Carrots
- Remove the dirt and tiny hairlike roots from the rainbow carrots before roasting by using a soft kitchen brush or a clean bristle pad. Gently scrub up and down with water until the carrots are clean. No need to peel them first!
- For easy cleanup use parchment paper on your baking sheet.
- Use similar size carrots for even cooking. You may need to use two baking sheets, one for the smaller ones and one for the larger ones. Place the smaller ones in the oven 15 minutes after you begin roasting the larger ones.
- Basting often is the key to the beautiful caramelization of these carrots.
Storing and Reheating this Candied Carrots Recipe
These candied rainbow carrots can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. To reheat, place the carrots on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 10-15 minutes until heated through. Alternatively, you can reheat them in a microwave for a few minutes until warm.
Go ahead, indulge in nature's candy of Roasted Glazed Carrots! These sweet, tender carrots are so delicious, you could probably make a meal out of them alone. They also make a fabulous addition to any main dish, adding a delightful sweetness to your dinner table.
What to serve with Rainbow Carrots
There are several elegant entrées the carrots go well with. Here are a few suggestions:
- Roasted Cornish Hen. This recipe is shimmering with an apricot glaze and packed with wild rice stuffing that’s loaded with dried apricots and craisins.
- Boneless Leg of Lamb. Minced garlic, herbs, and spices add depth of flavor to this tender meat, while roasted tomatoes, olives, and onions create a lovely compliment.
- Fruit Stuffed Pork Loin. This tender and juicy Stuffed Pork Loin is bursting with flavors of garlic and fresh herbs and stuffed with dried apricots and craisins.
- Herb Crusted Beef Tenderloin. This cut of meat is smeared with a garlic herb rub, roasted to fork-tender perfection, and drizzled with a rich creamy bearnaise sauce.
- Herbed Pork Crown Roast. Brining overnight provides this meat with both a tender and moist finish. An herb and spice rub is the secret that delivers the perfect flavor.
- Glazed Baked Ham. Coated with a sauce made of brown sugar, molasses, and grainy mustard. A touch of cinnamon, cloves, and fresh ginger enhances it as well.
- Roasted Rack of Lamb. Roast Rack of Lamb is smothered with an apricot mustard glaze and stands beautifully together while interlocked into a gorgeous presentation for any special occasion.
With their vibrant color, delicious flavor, and health benefits, honey carrots are a must-try dish for anyone looking to add some excitement to their meals. So why not impress your guests or treat yourself to a delectable dish that's as beautiful as it is delicious? Try this Candied Carrots recipe today and discover a new favorite dish!
More Vegetable Side Dishes:
Follow me on Pinterest: lingeralittle
If you have any questions, try any of these recipes, or just like what you see, please leave me a comment at the bottom of these posts.Print
Roasted Carrots with Honey
Experience the ultimate indulgence with every bite of Honey Glazed Carrots bathed in an irresistible orange-honey syrup. These beautiful, colorful veggies are a feast for the eyes and the taste buds, as they roast to perfection with a coating of golden honey and fresh orange juice.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 side servings
- Category: Vegetable Side Dish
- Method: Oven Roasted
- Cuisine: American
3 tablespoons Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
1 teaspoon Orange Zest
5 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons Bacon Grease (or butter)
Pinch of Salt
2 Bunches of Rainbow Carrots, whole
Sea Salt, for sprinkling after roasting (optional)
Parsley, chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450° F.
- Combine the orange juice, zest, maple syrup, and bacon grease.
- Place parchment paper on two separate baking sheets. Place the larger carrots on one and the smaller ones on another.
- Using a basting brush, apply the syrup mixture on all sides of the carrots.
- Begin roasting the larger carrots in the oven first - 15 minutes before the smaller ones go in the oven. Baste with the syrup mixture every 10-15 minutes while turning the carrots over with each application. Roast the larger carrots for 60 minutes total and the smaller ones for 45 minutes total or until tender.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with sea salt (optional) and parsley (optional).
- Serve immediately.
- This recipe calls for bacon grease, but butter works just as well.
- The larger carrots need a 15-minute head start in the oven. Therefore I use two baking sheets, one for the larger carrots and another for the smaller ones. Also, "a word to the wise, " definitely use parchment paper or you'll spend all evening scrubbing the pans.
- Basting often is the key to this dish. Brush the carrots with the syrup mixture every 10 minutes or so while turning them over each time. This is what creates that nice caramelized coating.
- Serving Size: 1 side dish
- Calories: 99
- Sugar: 14 g
- Sodium: 26 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 14 mg
Keywords: honey glazed carrots recipe, roasted carrots with honey, candied carrots recipe, caramelized carrots, honey carrots